In a pet store, it is possible to get a wide variety of animals of different species; this is a great responsibility because you have to keep these creatures with their needs covered and in good health until they leave with their new owners.
This implies several things such as healthy food, fresh water, and, of course, a suitable room temperature.
It can be problematic in the colder months to maintain a temperature warm enough for the animals in the pet store. A determining factor in achieving this is having good insulation in the structure of the property.
What is Insulation?
In general, when building stores or homes, the main focus is on the property’s aesthetics; however, if you are in an area where temperatures vary drastically according to the seasons, such as winter or summer. One of the main characteristics should be the installation of insulation to help provide greater comfort and quality of life within the place.
Insulation is a construction technique used to prevent high temperatures from affecting the internal environment of a structure, for example houses, studios, shops, among others.
In order to make this efficient, special materials called thermal insulators are used, which due to their properties, help the temperature not to be conducted so quickly. Inside the construction, the thermal insulator is characterized fundamentally by its excellent thermal resistance. This insulator prevents heat from advancing from where it has been used and prevents two media from acquiring the same temperature.
In other words, these insulators work as a barrier, since it blocks the passage of temperature between one area and the other. In the case of pet store insulations, this means that the premises will be able to have, in its internal part, a particular temperature and maintain it without problems. In contrast, the weather outside is directly opposite.
Installing a good insulation system can be very beneficial for a pet store for many reasons. Still, one of the main ones is that, immediately after installation, you can enjoy a pleasant thermal environment within the business without Major problems.
How to do pet store insulation
Currently, technology has advanced a lot, especially in the construction area, so there are different varieties of techniques and materials to make your pet store insulation.
Most frequent materials
Among the insulation materials that are most frequently used, synthetic, mineral, and natural stand out.
Synthetic type insulation
These are usually composed of different synthetic materials, such as plastic or even petroleum-derived polymers, among others. These are generally very effective at a technical level. Among the varieties of synthetic insulation, the following stand out:
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS): It is the most popular among the materials used to make pet store insulation. This is due to the fact that this material has an ideal density and a very low conductivity at a thermal level.
- Extruded Polystyrene (XPS): It is quite similar to EPS, but it has a significant advantage, which is that it can be wet without problems due to its high absorption. It is also usually used quite frequently.
- Polyurethane: This is the synthetic insulating material with the highest thermal performance there is, and it is usually used in the form of foam.
- Reflective rolls: This material consists of rolls with one or more layers of polyethylene bubbles between aluminum sheets, which can have a variable thickness. This type of insulation is often used in areas with milder climatic zones.
Mineral wool tops the lists of the most popular materials for insulation; this is because they not only act as a thermal insulator, but also serve as acoustic insulation and help protect against fire.
These wools are built with a large interlacing of various filaments of diverse stone materials, which form a kind of felt that helps keep the air between its layers immobile. In terms of insulation, there are mainly two different types of wool from minerals:
- Rock wool or mineral wool (SW): This is usually made from processed rock from volcanos. It can be found in the form of a panel (not rigid), a blanket or even a roll. It is usually used in floors, facades, floors, roofs, dormers, false ceilings, or interior partitions.
- Glass wool (GW): To make this wool, sand is usually melted at very high temperatures to later form glass fibers fine enough to be able to join them through the use of a resin or a binder material. This wool is an excellent acoustic insulator and is more resistant to humidity than SW. Likewise, it is very light and has a really low thermal conductivity, which allows a much higher efficiency to be achieved with the same thickness as other materials.
Natural or ecological insulators
This type of material is becoming more and more popular within pet store insulation since by not containing any variety of substances or additives, they tend to be more environmentally friendly and do not negatively harm animals’ health. As if that were not enough, this type of insulating material is biodegradable and recyclable.
Among the most used natural insulating materials, the following stand out:
- Cork: It is the most accepted at a general level because it is not only economical and a great insulating material, but it is renewable and recyclable. It is usually found in different formats, including chips that can be used to fill cavities or pressed cork panels. It is even possible to find it designed for covering surfaces or roofs.
- Flax: This material is extracted from a plant with the same name that can be easily grown. Recyclable fibers are obtained from this plant that can be used as insulating material.
- Cellulose: Cellulose is formed with recycled paper waste in the form of insulation, to later be used as blown-in chambers, over forged or cladding.
- Sheep wool: This wool comes from an animal source, sheep. When it is moistened, it dramatically improves its thermal insulation capacity.
- Vermiculite, perlite, and arlite: These are natural insulators of mineral origin and are often found in the area of traditional construction. This material is perfect for protecting against fire.
- Cotton and coconut fiber: To use this material, it is converted into blankets that, later, are conditioned for use within the construction as an insulating material.
Installing the insulation
Different systems can be used to install insulation within a pet store. For this, in addition to the selected insulating material, wooden panels and laminated plasterboards can be used or a spray foam machine can be used.
In any case, in order to choose the appropriate installation technique, it is necessary to know what type of insulating material is going to be used. In this way, you can guarantee that you will get the most out of its properties.
On the other hand, if you do not have experience in the area of installing pet store insulation, it is preferable to use the services of a professional in this type of work. This will help ensure that you are not wasting material unnecessarily and that the insulation will work as well as possible, allowing you to take full advantage of all potential benefits.
Benefits of pet store insulation
As we have already mentioned, it is vital to maintain a suitable environment for the animals inside the pet store, which includes preparing for the cold season. But there are other benefits to investing in a pet store insulation, such as the following:
- Energy savings: Insulation prevents heat loss inside buildings, so it is unnecessary to spend extra sums of money on constant heating systems.
- Improves electrical efficiency: If a building is not insulated, it will experience rapid heat loss, which means that you will have to make constant use of the heating system. This can be a problem at a local energy level, as excessive electricity consumption can overload the electricity system.
- More comfort inside: When a property manages to stay warm in cold seasons, a more excellent state of well-being and comfort is achieved inside it. This is useful not only for the animals but also for the staff and for attracting customers.
- Sound insulation: Many types of thermal insulation also function as a sound insulation system, which will prevent outside noises from being annoying to creatures and people inside the store.
- Cost reduction: By saving on heating, you will be able to reduce energy consumption costs.
- Protection against moisture: Many types of thermal insulation are excellent for preventing moisture from condensation. This protection will help reduce the risks associated with the appearance of mold or fungus.
- Helps the environment: By consuming less energy to keep the pet store’s interior warm, you significantly reduce CO2 emissions.
As you can see, there are many notable benefits associated with installing an insulation system in your pet store. This investment can generate an immediate ROI by reducing the costs associated with using heating systems during the winter. But not only that, but it will help keep the temperature much cooler during the summer.
Risks of not having your pet store insulated
Many people might be tempted not to invest a little extra money for the installation of the pet store insulation. However, this can be a severe mistake. So that you can understand more about this matter, we will tell you about the disadvantages and risks that you can face if you do not install insulation properly.
- The health of animals at risk: If a failure occurs in the heating system and the property does not have adequate insulation, the temperature of the room inside could drop dramatically. If this were to happen, some of the animals could become ill or, worse still, lose their lives due to hypothermia.
- Higher heating costs: If you do not have insulation, the energy consumption for heating will be much higher, which implies a more significant expenditure of money for this.
- Increased environmental pollution: If you continuously use heating to be able to maintain the proper temperature inside the pet store, you will end up sending a more significant amount of CO2 into the atmosphere, which will negatively impact the environment.
- Higher energy consumption: The continuous use of heating systems, especially if it is electric, could represent a significant load on the electricity supply network. Sometimes this could cause power outages or blackouts.
- More significant noise pollution: Thermal insulation, in many cases, serves as an insulator against outside noises. Not having this facility can make the pet store more vulnerable to these sounds, which can alter the animals on many occasions.
- Mold Hazard: Insulating material is often an excellent protection against moisture build-up on walls. Therefore, if you do not have the insulating material, you run the risk that the walls accumulate moisture and become full of mold or fungus, which is harmful to health.
- Greater risks of fire damage: Most insulating materials also serve as protection against fire, so the lack of these systems can make the difference between a simple incident and the pet store’s total loss.
As you can see, there are many risks associated with not installing pet store insulation. That is why investing money in this type of reform should not be considered an expense but an investment. Nor should it be forgotten that having this type of facility can, in fact, help to add more value to a particular property.
You should invest in pet store insulation
Additionally, many laws require this type of facility, especially in pet stores, because this type of business usually has a certain number of animals of different species in their care.
Likewise, it is common for many of these species to originate from tropical climates, so their life depends on the temperature of the environment is at the appropriate level. On the other hand, it is mandatory to install the pet store insulation in terms of safety issues.
As an additional advantage, it can be mentioned that there are local laws that reduce taxes for those businesses that install thermal insulation on their premises since this reduces energy consumption and resource consumption.
It is important to remember that thermal insulation is not only useful during winter but that during summer, it is also capable of maintaining a cold temperature inside the premises, which is why its usefulness extends throughout the year.